20 November 2009

Birthday's... it's the scurge of the oldies...

It was hubby's 28th birthday this week - and although he is usually quite the party animal, I have noticed that the closer he gets to the big 3-0, the less attention he wants to draw to himself and his ever increasing age... So this year when he was incredibly anti-birthday, I left it up to him to tell me what he wanted to do.

After a week of cajoling, bribing and finally ignoring - he decided that he didn't want a party, didn't want to celebrate and wanted to lock himself in the house until it was all over. But that he wouldn't mind if I happened to make homemade pizzas and chocolate cake - just to keep him nourished during the standoff.
























I had every intention of photographing the birthday dinner - in its stages of creation but after being harrassed by work (It's late night trade in Retail on Thurs), fielding birthday calls and well wishing visitors - I started off well but then completely forgot!

But my pizza dough recipe, stolen from Philip Johnson at Ecco, is unfailable. (*usually* - I try not to count the time I thought I could get by using yeast that was 2 months out of date... complete fail. Well - not completely - just very crispy!)

Pizza Dough:

225g Strong Flour
14g Dried yeast
1 tsp Sugar
170ml Warm water
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Sea Salt

Mix water, sugar and yeast in a jug and leave for a couple of minutes until it starts to froth.
Then add to the flour, salt and olive oil. Mix together with your fingers, knead lightly on a floured surface and then put back into the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise in a warm area for approx 2 hours.
Knead the dough again, then split in half, roll out onto 2 floured pizza trays.
Allow to rise uncovered for 20 mins, then top with your favourite toppings!


My favourite toppings:


Garlic Butter (Butter, fresh garlic, chives, parsley and basil) and Bocconcini
Garlic Butter, halved cherry tomatoes, basil and bocconcini
Tomato base, Pepperoni, Bocconcini

No comments:

Post a Comment