23 December 2009

The Cupcake Bakery QVB - You go ALL RIGHT!

What's girl time without a little too much sugar and midnight snacks?

With this thought in mind - and with Mum happily occupied at Planet Cake Cake School - I went on the hunt for "something nice" to share with her over coffee.

I was super excited to try and find Sparkle Cupcakery because I thought it was a cute concept - but a lot of the reviews were pretty uninspiring. They are the minimalist conception of cupcakes. Identically iced in white butter cream, and differentiated with a coloured Smartie. Boring!!

When I want cupcakes - I want pretty, I want imaginative - I want OTT! And I pretty much got all of that at The Cupcake Bakery.

Located in the thoroughfare of the Queen Victoria Building - I quite literally found them by accident and what a happy accident it was.

It took me a good 5 minutes of slack jawed staring before I finally decided on just two - Hummingbird and Tiramisu. I loved the fact that even though I was only buying 2 cupcakes, they giftwrapped them separately for me, and didn't charge me for the pleasure.

The cakes themselves were gorgeous. Light and luscious - the Hummingbird was actually Hummingbird cake. Not "just add water" cake mix with a different flavoured icing. I like that they went to the trouble to keep it authentic.

The Tiramisu was coffee flavoured cake and a light mascarpone frosting and dusted with chocolate shavings. So much effort, so muchly appreciated!

To be honest - we liked these cupcakes so much we went back the next day and got another one...

The Verdict: A really nice cupcakery that makes nicely different cupcakes.

Recommendations: Go with your hearts desire - we had four different ones and loved them all - by those odds, you can't really go wrong!

Contact: The Cupcake Bakery

The Cupcake Bakery on Urbanspoon


  1. Good to hear that the cupcakes are decent at this place. I've walked past it many times but haven't gotten round to trying any!

  2. I was a bit hesitant only because it was in a food court - but we loved them!! Give them a try one day... :)