03 January 2010

Red Onion Jam… and Sheets in the Wind



So I crawled into bed the other night, hubby was snoring softly and the fat, ginger cat was curled up next to him with his head on my pillow. I slid carefully under the covers to make sure I didn’t wake either of them up and then suddenly, out of nowhere – a long, high pitched whistly fart. And then another one… this one more drawn out than the first… and then a third. What the? And then it hit me. It was the onion jam.


It was completely my fault – after a couple of wonderful meals at various places that included Onion Jam or Onion Marmalade – I was inspired to make my own while I was on holidays.

Little did I know that 1.2kg’s of onions would only make ¾ of a jar. So – when you look at the quantities involved… every teaspoon of that jam must have been a whole onion… which was really making sense to me while I was lying flattened in bed, trying desperately not to move (or breathe) while the doona acted as a buffer zone between hubby’s nether regions and my nose.

But – now that the “Windy Weather” has passed, I can admit that it was damn fine jam.
And I will make it again.
But I might make hubby sleep in the spare room…




Red Onion Jam
(From Jill Dupleix's Website)

1 kg Onions
2 cloves Garlic
100ml Olive Oil
100ml White Wine
75ml Red Wine Vinegar
1 sprig Rosemary
2 Bay Leaves
150g Brown Sugar

Finely slice the onion and garlic. Fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until just starting to colour.

Add the Rosemary and Bay Leaves whole, do not cut. Cook for a further 2 mins.

Add the sugar, white wine and Red Wine Vinegar.

Bring to the boil, drop to a simmer and leave until mixture has reduced to a jammy consistency.

Bottle in sterilised jars. Refrigerate and consume within 2 weeks.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you! It's absolutely delicious and we've had it with every meal since I made it! :)

    ReplyDelete