11 September 2013

Spring Raspberry Bread and Win $100k!


Oh how the mighty fall.

Not that I was all that mighty – but I have definitely fallen, and fallen hard.

I find myself 31 years old, heavily pregnant (technically barely 7 months, but I feel like a migrating whale) and living at home with my Parents… not exactly where I saw myself this time last year as we were preparing for our new life in Canada!

The only real consolation I have is that it seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment. Kim Kardashian is living in her Mum’s spare room with baby North and Kanye in tow – and even Princess Kate is holed up in her Mum’s guest house with little Prince Georgie – it does help my wounded ego just a little bit to learn that I’m not alone!

After what feels like months of upheaval; our little family is finally settled, hubby back at work and our ratbag 2 year old finally sleeping through the night!

The last 6 weeks  have seen us trudge home from Canada, find a hospital to have our next baby in – and as long as no one beats me to the punch today – we may have even secured a few days of daycare! WOO HOO - Progress!

On top of all of that – my brother and his partner have had their first baby – so amongst beautiful newborn cuddles, I have also been faced with the challenge of trying to bake his mummy some treats that will get her through the early weeks of sleep deprivation and won’t upset his new tummy at the same time.

I was pretty excited to get an email about this competition IGA is running – up to $100k in prizes just for choosing selected brands and entering your receipt information online – I can tell you, this has been one of the more expensive chapters in our life – so even a share of $100k will come in incredibly handy right now!!



There are lots of great recipes – including one for Cheesy Cornbread  and another for Cheese and Onion Tartlets  – both by Devondale (who happen to be one of my favourite dairy brands) that will get a test run this weekend just in time for family brunch.

Back on to baking and babies though… I was super excited to see this recipe for Raspberry Bread and it was a winner - nutritious, easy and absolutely delicious -  but next time I will definitely look at adding some white chocolate chips… and possibly even some roughly chopped macadamia nuts – just to make it extra special!


IGA Spring Raspberry Bread

Ingredients
·                ¾ cup plain flour
·                ¾ cup whole meal plain flour
·                ½ cup hazelnut meal
·                2 teaspoons baking powder
·                ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
·                ⅔ cup caster sugar
·                2 eggs lightly beaten
·                ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
·                120 g (5 tablespoons) Flora pro-activ Original / Buttery, melted and cooled
·                1½ cups (160g) frozen raspberries, thawed
·                2 tablespoons reduced fat milk

Instructions
1.   Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a medium 21.5 x 11.5 x 5.5cm loaf pan with Flora pro-activ.

2.   Place flours, hazelnut meal, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and caster sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer. To combine, mix on low speed for about 1 minute. If using a hand beater, mix the dry ingredients using a wire whisk until evenly blended.

3.   Add lightly beaten eggs, vanilla and melted Flora pro-activ. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Remove the bowl from mixer and fold in the raspberries and milk by hand.

4.   Pour mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. (I would highly recommend the skewer test as my loaf took 1 hour and 20 mins, but I don’t have a lot of faith in my new oven…)
5.   Cool in the tin. Slice into 12 pieces, serve plain or spread with Flora pro-activ Buttery.

No comments:

Post a Comment