21 November 2009

He's a cranky Birthday Boy - but he still wants cake!

The Birthday Boy wanted cake to go with his Pizza - and while the dough was rising happily in the spare room - I considered my options.

I could make him cake - but then there would only be the two of us to eat it... and I would have to light up the candles and sing to him (like an idiot) all by myself... as that vision played out in my head - I couldn't really think of anything more depressing so decided on delaying the cake until the next night when we had friends coming over for a non-birthday dinner*. (*see previous post about how we were not allowed to celebrate this year)

My staple chocolate cake that I take everywhere is Green & Black's Chocolate Mousse Cake - which is super easy and disgustingly rich.

I made it once on a whim to see what it was like - only to have every BBQ invitation after that come with the condition that I "bring that chocolate-thing I make".

Chocolate Mousse Cake
3 tbsp Ground hazelnuts plus extra for dusting tin
300g Dark chocolate
275g Caster sugar
165g Unsalted butter
1 Pinch of sea salt
5 Eggs (large)
Icing sugar / cocoa powder / gold dust
Brush a lined 20-23cm cake tin with a little melted butter and dust with ground hazelnuts, shaking off any excess.
Melt the chocolate, sugar, butter and salt in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan of barely simmering water, then remove from the heat.
Using a beater, beat the eggs with the ground hazelnuts until fluffy and then fold into the chocolate mixture, careful not to lose too much of the air.

Pour into the cake tin and bake at 180C or 35 minutes. Remove from the oven but leave the cake on the base to cool for at least 30 mins - it may still be quite wobbly so it is essential to let it sit to get the right texture.

Depending on how fancy you want to be - dust with Icing Sugar, Cocoa Powder or Gold Dust.
*This is a very rich cake which does need something to cut it - I recommend ice cream / cream / fresh raspberries / citrus salad.
Needless to say - the cake was a hit. It is always a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment