29 November 2009

I tried to be tricky - and I think I failed. Sponge fingers...

At work last year we were all colour coded by personality:

Blue = Numbers! Numbers! Numbers!
Green = Organised, Strategic
Red = Emotional, good with people
Yellow = Creative, lots of ideas

I was off the chart Yellow and Red, poor old Green and Blue barely got a look in.

And so, my latest kitchen semi-disaster - I blame on my lack of blue and green.

It wasn't a disaster as such, but my idea was great - gorgeous, unique, quirky. I thought it would be great. And not having time to do it properly, I skimped on some of the ingredients - after all, it was just a test run right?

So what was my idea you ask? Well imagine a Sponge Cake, 2 layers of super light and fluffy vanilla cake, vanilla whipped cream and fresh strawberries, all dusted with virgin white icing sugar.

Mmmm. *Yum*



Now imagine that instead of a big round cake, they were delicate little triangles of finger sandwiches with just the mereist hint of cream oozing from the sides, specks of vanilla bean dotting pretty-ily and the gorgeous summer Strawberries all layered perfectly, pink amongst all that white.

How cute would that be? Well it was cute, and it tasted okay - but next time I'm determined to do it properly.

This time - I bought a square sponge cake slab from Coles (mistake #1, I should have made the damn cake); a pot of thick cream and a punnet of beautiful strawberries. Pretty easy but the commercially made cake was my downfall, a bit dry and didn't have that airy softness like Mum's does... so next time I will definitely make it myself.

But here is finished product - not bad for a trial run, but definitely room for improvement. The girls in the office didn't mind it though...


Strawberry Sponge Triangles

1 Recipe of Sponge (made into 2 square cakes)
1 tub Cream whipped with vanilla (either bean or essence - whatever you can afford)
1 punnet Strawberries, sliced thinly
Granulated sugar
Icing Sugar
1 sprig Mint

Cut both of the sponge cakes in half so that you have 2 layers.
Beat cream with Vanilla until thick.
Slice the strawberries thinly, then sprinkle with a teaspoon of granulated sugar.
Finely slice the mint and then add to the strawberries, mix well but gently.
Laying the two bottom slices of sponge out, spread with the cream and then top evenly with the sliced strawberries.
Place top halves back on, and then cut the cake into even squares so that you can then halve again to make even triangles.
Arrange on a serving platter and dust with icing sugar.

Voila!

Follow EyesBigger on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Is it too much to ask for a splash of grand marnier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! No - GM goes wonderfully with this - but I was trying to be nice and cater for the gorgeous pregnant girls who were going to try it as well :)

    ReplyDelete