02 December 2009

The way to a mans heart is definately through his stomach...

I've noticed a trend with my hubby - whenever I'm getting ready for a big trip away, he gets moody and irritable. It's sweet in it's own weird way - but difficult - I know that he misses me, but being a grump the day before I leave isn't pleasant for either of us.

So after almost 3 years of doing this job, I have the "day before leaving" down to an artform.

It usually involves Breakfast - he pays, that way he feels like he's spoiling and providing for me before I venture off on my lonesome into the big bad world of retail.

Then, comes the mid-morning downer that is generally followed by some kind of reflective "man activity" like mowing the lawn, playing with the dog or cleaning his car.

Last but not least, comes the "Serious Sads" where he acts like his favourite goldfish has died. The big pouty lip is out and words like "abandoned", "neglected" and "lonely" get bandied about quite a bit. And after about half an hour of letting him wallow in self pity - I get started on a fabulous dinner to perk him up. (See, told you I had it down pat!)


This time - after a wonderful seafood entree at our Xmas party - I was inspired to try some recipes of my own.

Scallops on Cauliflower Puree

8 Scallops
1/2 head Cauliflower
200ml Milk
1/2 Garlic Clove
1 Tsp Butter

Make the puree ahead of time and reheat before serving.
Cut the Cauliflower into florets and simmer in the milk with the butter and garlic clove. When cooked and soft, remove from the heat and puree with a stick blender. Season to taste, and if needed, return to the heat to thicken. It needs to be able to "stand" on it's own.

Sear the scallops until golden on one side, turn and remove from the heat. I like mine still slightly pink in the middle.

Serve with a scallop on a little bit of the puree and garnish with fresh chives.


Garlic Prawns

500g Green Prawns, peeled
3 cloves Australian Garlic
2 tsp butter
1/4 Red Capsicum, finely diced
1/2 Red Onion, finely diced
50ml White Wine
300ml Cream
1/2 bunch Chives, finely chopped

In a hot pan, saute the garlic, red onion and capsicum in the Butter until soft.
Add the wine and allow the alcohol to cook off.
Pour in the cream and allow to bubble.
Add the prawns to the cream mixture and cook until opaque. Be careful not to overcook.
Stir in the chopped chives and serve.

I like to serve mine with Jasmine Rice and a small side salad.


This recipe in particular is one of hubby's favourites and guaranteed to crack a smile - the last time I made it, he ate his, he ate my leftovers and then he licked his plate clean. You just don't get a compliment better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment